Friday 10 August 2012

Geolympix Cyclerama

Geolympix Cyclerama , 27 caches, 13 miles, Thame, Oxfordshire

Hello,

Well - today was interesting! Or should I say pathetic? 31 caches attempted and more than 10 DNFs! The temperature was 30 degrees c, and we had a long way to ride (6.5 miles each way, it's a Linear series) and, being far from home again, we concluded that we didn't have much time to dilly dally. And we gave up on many; the whole trail was packed with muggles - and we looked silly starting and stopping every 500 metres! The thing that most annoys me is that for the Bonus, when we arrived at GZ I dismissed it, and moved on. Now looking at the pictures in the gallery, I found out we were indeed in the right place. I dismissed it because the listing said "In a forest" - there were four or five trees, in one line!


I didn't bother with #25 and #1 - what in the world is a "blue WO"???? That wasn't a good start to the series, then at #2 another DNF - I moved on quickly after seeing all the litter - I didn't really want to bother searching within litter and who knows what else! This happened a few more times in the series - I skipped about four others due to large amounts of litter. After #2 things got better and we were out of Thame and into the countryside. But there were many more DNFs to follow due to muggles. They were all over the place.

There were some nice spots on the route; with good views over to the Chiltern Hills; reminding us of the rest of our Geolympix glory a few weeks back; accomplishing 11 icons in 11 hours and most of the marathon series. We were glad to be able to complete (in distance, not caches ;) ) the cycle series too - so now we feel we've had a bit of everything the Geolympix had to offer.

Caches were, to be honest, quite boring. Micro after micro. I think you could have fitted a couple of smalls and maybe regulars on there; I do see the bonus and bonus bonus are of that size - but it would have been nice to have more - and more sneaky containers to keep you on your toes.

The  route itself was enjoyable and there were some interesting sculptures and seats to have a rest on. We decided not to bother trying again with the DNFs on the return route; and to just enjoy the ride. Overall a good route, in a lovely area, but not sure the quality of the caches were as high as they should be. We still enjoyed it a lot though, and recommend it for a family day out for caching. 

Of course this was my replacement for not being able to make the Mega tomorrow - instead I might be able to grab a few caches in Devon, then we're off to Spain on holiday where I might be able to bag a couple more. 

I'll post back as soon as I think I have enough to tell you about. 

Griff Grof

No comments:

Post a Comment