Sunday 10 November 2013

Nottingham Hill

NottHill, 3 miles, 9 caches (+3 en-route.) First cache: GC4DJXM 



This was literally one of those "wow-a-newish-series-in-an-area-I-know-is-nice" moments when I came across this one on the map. One of my fondest caching memories was an evening spent on Cleeve Hill finding some nice caches, all whilst taking in the breathtaking views. I HAD to do this series: it looked to be a good one! So on a chilly, (but sunny) morning, off we set with Fizz the puppy - this was going to be her first series.

From #1, I knew this was going to be a cracker! The views over the valley and beyond (we could see the Malvern's at one point!) were stunning, and it brought a feeling of joy to me. The first cache was a sneaky hide, but it didn't take long to find, and the second was a nice size box filled with swag - just what I like, and in such an amazing location too!

Fizz had a brilliant time as we continued, as we found more neat caches, as we walked through some woodland - already demonstrating the variation in terrain on this walk (from lane, to hill-track and now to woodland path.)

Here's a snap from about half way round the series... it really illustrates how beautiful the area is, and the sorts of views we enjoyed all the way round, coupled with nicely kept caches - all the ingredients for a great series:


We didn't see much wildlife on the route, contrary to other peoples logs, which, in some cases, was a good thing - I wouldn't have wanted to bump in to any cattle with the dog with us! Nevertheless, this didn't take away from the enjoyment of the series, and we did get to meet some ponies:


We had a bit of a scare at the final cache: As I was searching, a wasp-looking creature flew past me. It's stinger alone must've been three inches long - we've never seen anything like it - and one of us studied wildlife at degree level! I have a mild phobia with these sorts of insects, so I was left white as paper - but I still wanted to find the cache, which I did, to end a good series. 

For me, it was one of the best series I've done in a while (well, I haven't done many lately, have I?!). From the beautiful views all the way round, to the good caches; this short walk was one we thoroughly enjoyed, and one we'd highly recommend to others. 

Until the next one... feeling a bit like a trip to the Lake District - but that'll probably have to wait until summer... wouldn't want to be mountain walking as the weather gets colder.

Griff Grof

No comments:

Post a Comment