Sunday 22 April 2012

My first Wherigo - Reindeer Round-Up

Reindeer Round-Up , 10 caches, 3.5 miles, Himbleton, Worcestershire 

Hello,

After the working week, we thought we needed a little break - caching [:)] I had some homework left to do, and so we decided that we needed to find a short little walk, near to home. I had been looking at doing the "Reindeer Round-Up" series since it was published at Christmas, and even though it did have a festive theme, I just couldn't resist giving this series a go. Of course, the other factor  that made me really want to the series was the fact that 9 out of the 10 caches on the loop were Wherigo caches - I'd never found a Wherigo before, so I was really excited. So read on, as I take you on my first Wherigo adventure!

 


There was ample parking near to the first cache. I loved how Wherigo caches are like a game. The object of the game on this series was to catch all the reindeer for Santa - thus why the series is called "Reindeer Round-up"! The walk had a pleasant start, we went through a field of sheep - and there were lovely views to be enjoyed. The first few caches were all easy finds, before my Wherigo cartridge kept on crashing, causing a huge delay at the "Vixen" cache - spent ages looking for it, with my Oregon turning itself on and off all the time, before we had to PAF to the CO's Delta68, who kindly told us where the cache was. 

Even though the day was a little dull, there were a lot of ramblers about - this made the whole process a little slower, because they kept on stopping for snacks when we needed to find caches. Somehow managed to retrieve the next few without them noticing. I loved the "Blitzen" cache the most! Don't want to give anything away on here, but it was a challenge, and a rewarding, well stocked cache at the end - in the most tranquil of spots! The cartridge seemed to be working fine now, though it was a little slow. Now that I had successfully caught (found) all eight reindeer (caches) the Grotto was unlocked on my GPS - it was like magic, there I was and the suddenly a cute little grotto pops up on my screen - great. The next part of my quest was then to walk over to the Grotto itself, and give the reindeer back to Santa. 



Passed some very lovely ponds on the way to the grotto, and there were some fishermen enjoying themselves, even though it was now raining. I simply loved what happened at the grotto - the cartridge let you "talk" to Santa, who expressed his thanks for rounding up his reindeer, and also told us where the cache was - great. The grotto cache was nice and big, as well as well stocked - the log book was in a stocking! Great, now I wish I had done it at Christmas, but oh well. Now it was to work out the puzzle, and go to the bonus. 

Eek, well on the way to the bonus, there was a field of cows. After being chased by them the last two times I've been in the same field as them, I felt a little nervous - but it was all fine, and I soon found the bonus cache waiting for me - glad I had managed to solve the puzzle correctly! By now the rain was really coming down, so after signing the log it was a dash back to the car, and the end of a great series. 

Well, it was fabulous! A great little walk, with good terrain, some nice views, and picturesque landscape. I was over the moon to not only have bagged my first Wherigo, but my first 9 Wherigo caches all in one day! This series must be breaking peoples records! Although all the caches are listed as "small" all the containers were different, but yet all were well stocked. So, to sum up, a great little Wherigo series, which is highly recommended by me. Really enjoyed this new cache type, it's only the beginning for me and Wherigo caches, looking forward to finding more, and maybe even setting something myself. Perfect for a first time Wherigo adventure!

Griff Grof

No comments:

Post a Comment