Tuesday 3 April 2012

Aldbourne Circular Trail

Aldbourne Circular Trail, 35 caches + 2 more en-route, 13 miles, Aldbourne


Today took me to Wiltshire yet again. It's the start of what will hopefully be many caching trails throughout the rest of the Easter break from school - and what a series it was to get me started! Before I continue, I'd like to apologise as we didn't have the camera, and so there will be no images uploaded to this entry. However, if you really want to, you can refer to the gallery for the cache listings, and view other peoples photos -or just save it for when you get there...  you won't be disappointed!

What an awful start to the day! Woke up at 6:00am to hear the news that the trip had been cancelled as my dad had to sort some work out. Luckily, at around 9:00, he decided that we could go, but I was in a sticky place - living in North Gloucestershire, in the Cotswolds, we knew from the start there was a 2 hour drive alone to get there. And we had to keep in mind that the walk was 13 miles long, with people reporting an 8 hour walk car door to car door. My dad suggested to take the bikes with us, and cycle the series, like the listing suggested. I always prefer walking, as you can enjoy the scenery more, but today I was willing for a change, with the time in mind.

Arrived for a 11:36 start (yes - very late) but within 30 mins we were already on cache #5, and enjoying the stunning views from Sugar Hill! From this point on, I knew we'd made the right decision to cycle the series.

All the caches were easy finds, and within one hour we were in Aldbourne, meaning we were around a third through. That worked out to about 10 caches an hour - great! The byways/bridleways were still fine for biking (duh) and the rain seemed to thankfully be holding off the dark clouds above us. After the village, we tackled the second steep incline of the day, very hard to do on bike (ended up walking) but we were rewarded with even more stunning views, and our lunch. My dad enjoyed a hot cuppa and sandwiches, while I treated myself with a pasta salad - yum yum! Before too long (15 mins to be exact) we were back on the trail, with the caches coming thick and fast.

Next we cycled through the village of Upper Upham, and down a rocky byway enjoying even more views! I liked how sensible the caches were hidden, no standing looking for ages, but a little challenge at the same time. After a zoom along the downhill part of the rocky byway, we turned right to pick up a really cool cache, in the deserted village of Snap (previously Snape) which was abandoned in the 19th Century, after it's last resident, and elderly woman, was persuaded to move to Aldbourne. Didn't see any ruins of the village, but did find a huge ammo box filled with goodies - just the kind of cache I love!

After leaving Snap, I noticed the "Beware of the Bull" sign, as we entered the field, but can gladly say that not a single form of livestock was within it. We then bumped into some fellow cachers, who we knew were out and about after seeing their names in every log book so far. Had a quick chat, before my dad and I whizzed ahead of them on our bikes, gaining speed along the level/downhill byway. Took in some glorious views after this, truly stunning, and then it was across the road for the final stretch of the series.

On one of the last caches, I cut my thumb with a sharp splint - it's still hurting now! But it was all made up when we were surrounded by amazing 360 degree views at #34. Here, it was time to calculate the coordinates for the bonus cache, but I suddenly noticed that somehow I was missing the values for E - what was I to do? Well, I had already pinpointed where the bonus could be, and I was certain it was up there. Quick PAF to tarmacjohn confirmed it was down that particular byway. So, with our estimated coordinates we set off to find the cache - always nice to have an ammo box to finish with! Left a Geocoin to entice more visitors to this superb cache - not quite on the hills like the rest, but still in a stunning location!!!

And so was the end to a FANTASTIC series - cracking walk, great views, and good caches made it a perfect day - and it didn't rain once! Plus, I can confirm that this series is fully bikeable! How long did it take me? 8 hours like the rest? Nope, we completed it all in 4 hours - great ride, and great for saving time!


What a start to my caching holidays - check back here soon for more frequent posts!

Griff Grof

No comments:

Post a Comment