Sunday 11 March 2012

Byway to Railway Series

BAR (Byway to railway) Series 28 caches, 8 miles. Chiseldon, Wiltshire. 


Hello,

I was back out caching today [:)]

Series Summery
I spotted this 28 cache series, which I thought was perfect, as it would take me to 999 finds, in time for me to hike to my 1000th next weekend. The series was much better than I had anticipated, and was a mostly flat walk, to get me back into the swing of things. Pleasant views of the surrounding hills to be enjoyed, and most of it is bike able. Not a variation in hides, or terrain, but still a very enjoyable walk, today in the company of my dad and flyhiy. Interesting history in the area, and the warm, sunny weather made it all the better [:D]

My day 
The walk started in the lovely town of Chiseldon, and had a pleasant walk for the first few caches... but on #6, we dropped our  OS map - but where? Yep, we had to retrace our steps searching for it - like looking for a needle in a haystack - adding on an extra 2 miles to the 8 mile walk.

The series doesn't have much of a variation in terrain, but what it does offer are rich examples of wildlife. We saw two deer in the middle of a field, who then ran away, before we saw another six deer sprinting around the field - we took stunning photos! There's also tons of plants and other variation along the route, all of which are interesting to look at.

Was very glad that shooting season is over, wouldn't like to be completing it during the winter months - you can see that lots of shooting takes place, lots of clay pigeons dotted across various fields!

My favorite part of the walk was between #10 and #17, lovely stretch with good views, before following an old railway (now a cycle path - bring your bikes!) which was nice, but it followed a busy road, and so the noise kinda ruined our "peace".

At this point, while signing a log, the first muggle of the day passed by - oh no! But wait, "Are you Geocaching?" she and her granddaughter ask - they told us that her son (the girls uncle) also Geocaches, I wonder who it is? Other than that, we only saw a few other cyclists, but otherwise a fairly quiet route.

All in all, a very good day, and walk, and with 999 caches found, I'm getting ready for #1000 next weekend - watch this space for that blog entry!

~Griff Grof~

No comments:

Post a Comment